Last week, someone made the mistake of filming a bunch of drunk, white Jews in Jerusalem after the Obama’s Cairo speech.
I’ve heard a lot of things said:
1. These are just stupid American Jews on a Birthright Trip in Israel. They don’t speak for anyone, they can barely speak for themselves (as the video shows).
2. This video is proof that young American Jews are a bunch of racists who use words like “n-gger” and “white power.”
3. Now that Obama’s president, we are in a “post-racial America”…and that has made some people, including American Jews, more racist.
4. The guy filming just wanted to get famous at the expense of these stupid white American Jewish kids. (Good job, no?)
5. Don’t get a bunch of white Jewish kids drunk because if you do, you’ll find out EXACTLY how racist they really are.
It is with a heavy heart that I put this on my blog because I know it will cause a lot of people pain. That’s why I’ve been sitting on this story for a week despite the news it’s made (check out “‘Feel the Hate’ for Obama”).
Over at the Frum Satire blog, there was some serious conversation about racism in the Jewish community. And damn, well, it’s about time. We are not all as thick-skinned as MixedJewGirl who wrote a blog about this video last week calling this video anything but shocking. In fact, she argues, this is reality. And so, I ask you, if it is…what are we going to do to change it?