Hanukkah is upon us and so the mad dash for the perfect gift ensues. Well, let me help! A chosen few (three) will each win a copy of “I Love Jewish Faces” by Debra Darvick just in time for Hanukkah. So what do you have to do?
1. In the comments section and/or via email, describe the Jewish face you love in a couple of sentences…whether it’s your loved one, a friend or a movie star. Start with “The Jewish face I love….” And end with “I love Jewish faces.”
2. Email me at Jewminicana1 AT gmail DOT com with your name, address (must be in the US) and phone number (and if you posted your response in the comments section, be sure to tell me what your screen name is!)
3. Bonus: send a photograph of the Jewish face you love!
4. Deadline is Friday, December 11, 2009.
5. Winners to be announced Monday, December 14, 2009.
The Jewish face I love…has a hard time growing facial hair so it wears a goatee that’s slightly better groomed than the one Brad Pitt is currently wearing! Hardly rabbinical. But then my favorite part of this Jewish face is his nose. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re waiting for stereotypes but hear me out.
As a kid, I was fascinated by my mother’s long straight nose and the tiny little bump on it. My thin–so thin my glasses would forever slide up and down it–little nose looked so bland and simple next to hers. When my mother was nice, her nose was the kind you wrote sonnets about. When she was cruel, it was hooked, part of a Halloween mask. By the time I was an adult, I fetishized noses. To me, Adrian Brody had the perfect nose, a nose that had character, that is until I discovered his nose. Just a regular old nose, not too big, not too small but truly perfect and utterly kissable.
I liked his nose even better than his eyes which I thought were green at first, dirty pool water green until I discovered they were really blue, my all-time favorite color in the most perfect shade in the eyes of the Jewish face I love the most! I looooove Jewish faces.